Commuter Student Programs
Commuter Student Programs
Having difficulty making the connection to WVU? We can help you make your transition a little easier. We provide fun activities where you can meet other students, academic progress counseling, referral information, information on campus events and activities, community service opportunities, and a place to relax between classes.
First-Year Academy and Welcome Week ActivitiesFor more information, please visit the First-Year Academy web page.
On-Campus Job Opportunities
Need to work while attending WVU? The Office of Student Employment helps WVU students find part-time and seasonal employment in order to fund their college educations. Whether students are interested in seriously supplementing their financial aid, keeping themselves in pizza money, or upgrading their cell phone, the office can help with the job hunt.
Parking and Traffic Information
For information about University, public, and private parking lots in the Downtown and Evansdale campuses, see the Parking Info page.
Where are the Commuter Lounges?
The Downtown Commuter Lounge is located in 101 Purinton House. Inside you will find a microwave and refrigerator, a TV and DVD player, comfortable couches and chairs, wireless Internet access, lockers to store your stuff in between classes, free local and national newspapers, and other commuters just like you! Lockers in the Downtown Commuter Lounge in Purinton House are available for Fall 2015 and are free of charge. If you need a locker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall 2015 Downtown and Evansdale Commuter Lounge Hours:
- Monday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Wednesday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Thursday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Places to Study
If the Commuter Lounges are a bit noisy and you are looking for a more subdued atmosphere where you can relax and study, then the Betty Boyd Lounge at Elizabeth Moore Hall is the place for you. Once inside, you can come in and check out one of the wireless laptops or just unwind on one of the many couches.
The Commuter Connection Newsletter
The Commuter Connection is WVU’s monthly commuter student newsletter, filled with information and advice specifically tailored for WVU’s commuter population. Current issues are emailed to students. Back issues can be found in the archive.
Upcoming Commuter Events
- Saturday, August 15: First-Year Academy. Times and locations TBD
- Sunday, August 16: New Student Welcome, Coliseum. Time TBA
- Monday, August 17: Commuter Welcome Pizza Party, Commuter Lounge, Noon to 2 PM
- Tuesday, August 18: Commuter Ice Cream Social, Commuter Lounge, 2 PM to 4 PM. Ice cream treats provided by WVU Student Family Resources
- Wednesday, August 19: Commuter Lounge Open House, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Thursday, August 20: First-Year Commuter Student Check-In, Commuter Lounge, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Have a question or a problem? Stop by and let us know!
Important Dates to Remember
- Friday, August 21: Last day to add a class or to drop a class without a ‘W’
- Monday, September 7: Labor Day Recess. No classes at WVU
For additional information, contact Brian Walker or Whitney Oliverio in the Office of Commuter Student Programs at (304) 293-5611, or stop by Campus and Community Life located in Elizabeth Moore Hall.