Skip to main content


Anyone can refer a student who could benefit from additional support and troubleshooting. Please include all pertinent information pertaining to the student’s area/behavior of concern, including any documentation that may be relevant. 

What to Refer:

The Advocacy Center is available to provide support to distressed students and to address related behaviors and concerns. Our goal is to assess, intervene and potentially to prevent escalation and to assist students in accessing the supports they need to be successful at WVU.

For Urgent/Emergent Situations

If this is an emergent situation or an immediate threat to self or others, please contact emergency resources. 

Referrals are reviewed during business hours when the University is open (typically Monday-Friday 9AM-5 PM). Please note submissions are  not monitored 24/7. Completing a CARE referral in lieu of emergency services will delay a response. If you are concerned about a student's well-being and uncertain if needs more immediate action, contact the Carruth Center (304-293-4431) and speak with a counselor to assist you with making the determination. 

Some examples of observed behaviors you should report:

  • Academic Concern (absenteeism or change in academic performance, classroom disruption, disturbed writing)
  • Adjustment or involvement concerns
  • Basic needs assistance (food, housing, and/or financial security)
  • Bullying/harassment/stalking (in person or via internet, phone, notes)
  • Concern regarding alcohol and/or other drug use
  • Disastrous or traumatic event
  • Extreme and inappropriate emotional outbursts (unprovoked anger/aggression, hostility, etc.)
  • Health and wellbeing concern (physical or emotional/mental health)
  • Hospitalization (admission)
  • Inappropriate interest in weapons
  • Loss of a loved one, bereavement
  • Request for emergency funds, housing or instructor notification
  • Resource or policy navigation assistance
  • Self-harm (noticeable cuts, burns, or mutilation)
  • Student death
  • Suicidal thoughts, threats, or attempt
  • Victim of a crime
  • Violence or threats of violence (veiled or direct; verbal or written)
  • Withdrawing and/or decreased interest in activities
  • Worrisome changes in appearance, behavior, or hygiene

Referral Process

Anyone can report concerning, disruptive, alarming, or threatening behaviors to the Advocacy Center. When completing the referral form, please include all pertinent information pertaining to the student’s behavior of concern, including any documentation that may be relevant. Providing complete and concise information will allow us to offer the most effective and appropriate support. A referral can be submitted at any time. Once your report is received, a member of our team will review the information and may contact you for additional details. We will gather information, consider the needs of the student and those impacted, and determine appropriate response for the referred individual.

Common interventions include:

  • Meeting with the student to discuss the reported concern
  • Consultation with student and his/her/their family
  • Referral to an on- or off-campus resource
  • Follow up and monitoring student success
  • Assistance and consultation with reporting individual or unit
  • Referral to another campus or administrative process

Every referral submitted to the Advocacy Center will be reviewed and addressed; however, to ensure that students privacy is protected, individuals who submit a CARE referral may not be provided with details regarding the support and or intervention that was provided. For questions or inquiries, please contact us at


Make a Referral

Emergency Contacts

If you are reporting an emergency situation or an immediate threat to self or others, please contact 911 or University Police 304-293-COPS (2677)

For crisis or psychological emergencies, call the Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services at 304-293-4431.