Skip to main content


We're here to help you get started in the process of finding housing in Morgantown and transitioning out of dorm life.

Our aim is to help students find housing that best aligns with their unique needs and wants, that will allow them to get the most out of their time at WVU and in Morgantown! If you need specialized assistance in finding housing that fits your needs, fill out our intake form!

Complete an Off-Campus Housing Intake Form

Housing Search Resources and Materials

These materials will help you navigate your search for off-campus housing.

Find Off-Campus Housing

Lists are for informational purposes only. WVU Off-Campus Housing does not endorse or inspect rental properties.

Explore the Housing Map

Lease Reviews

Doing a free lease review with WVU Student Legal Services helps ensure renters know exactly what they are signing in their lease and their legal obligations. This allows students to be diligent renters aware of their rights and expectations both for themselves and their landlord. Lease reviews are an excellent way to avoid landlord/tenant disputes when living off campus! 

Renter's Insurance

It’s incredibly important to have insurance on your rental property. Some leases require renters' insurance or even a particular policy or amount, so make sure you check before moving in! Renters insurance policies generally offer full protection on theft and destruction of belongings, and this can cover the valuables stored in your vehicle if parking is located on the property. Also, some insurances can cover liability protection for you and your visitors. Generally speaking, landlords are not responsible for your personal property unless the loss of property is due to the landlord’s negligence. Without insurance, you may be financially responsible for any personal property lost to theft, flooding/fires or other types of disasters. Before purchasing insurance, check with your parent/guardian’s homeowner’s insurance for potential coverage. Some homeowner’s policies protect student rental properties as an extension of the homeowner’s policy.

Short-Term Housing

If you are looking for a 3 to 6-month lease, fill out our intake form for assistance in locating available units.

Other short-term housing resources:

WVU Student Legal Services

Student legal services on campus

Student Legal Services is available to educate students about their legal rights, responsibilities, and obligations. They provide services to all WVU main campus students with legal issues including, but not limited to, the following areas of law: leases, contracts, landlord/tenant issues, consumer issues, notary services, insurance matters, wills and powers of attorney, debt collection, expungement of criminal records, employment grievances, family law and domestic matters, and general civil matters. 

Off-Campus Housing


  •  University Resource, On-Campus, downtown
  •   304-293-5611

Off Campus Housing provides assistance to WVU students who are not living in a residence hall or University Apartment. We can provide information on Morgantown apartment options and assist you in finding a place to live that fits your needs. Our office also hosts the annual WVU Housing Fair. Feel free to contact us at or call us at 304-293-4897 with any questions. We also have an FAQ page available to answer common questions about off-campus housing.

Complete An Intake Form Visit Our FAQ Page

Northern West Virginia Center for Independent Living


They can provide assistance to students who believe they are being discriminated against in the sale, rental, or financing of housing because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, familial status, ancestry, or blindness. Also, they can provide assistance to students who need skills training for independent living.

Legal Aid Of West Virginia


Legal Aid provides support and legal services to ensure such as low-income families, seniors, victims of domestic violence, and individuals with disabilities are given equal housing rights and access to education regarding those rights. To apply for assistance, legal aid, or an appointment to discuss either of those things, call them during the listed hours.

Emergency and Disaster Assistance

Advocacy Center

Emergency Housing Assistance

Temporary Housing is available at no cost for current WVU students who are displaced due to extenuating circumstances including but not limited to: fire, flooding or personal safety concerns. The temporary housing is located at Vandalia Apartments on the downtown campus and is typically available for up to one week.

If you have experienced an emergent situation and need to request access to temporary housing please fill out this form. Once you have submitted the form, a staff member will review it within one business day and contact you via email or phone call to notify you of the approval decision.

If you are concerned for your safety please contact the University Police Department at 304-293-3136 or call 911.

American Red Cross


They provide housing, clothing, food, health services, and other resources for victims of incidents such as floods, fires, and other natural or manmade disasters. Call the Morgantown Disaster Response Team at the number listed above after one of the listed incidences have occurred and they will discuss plans and assistance that tailor to the specific disaster. They also offer guidance for post-emergency recovery and after disaster planning.

Please see our Emergency Financial Assistance page for additional support.


Bartlett Housing Solutions

overnight shelter

Bartlett Housing Solutions provides emergency, overnight housing on a first come, first served basis.

Contact them if you need an overnight shelter as availability is given upon contact because they are only able to provide 28 beds per night. Bed assignments are made on a first-come-first-serve basis beginning at 8 p.m. each night. Reservations are NOT accepted.

Rape and Domestic Violence Information Center (RDVIC)

Shelter/Safe House

The RDVIC offers a safe house/shelter for individuals of all gender identities and all ages who are currently experiencing or who are survivors of domestic violence, child abuse, incest, sexual assault, elder care abuse, caregiver abuse, sexual harassment, or stalking. Housing assistance is available 24/7, accessibly by calling their hotline at the number listed above. Location of the safe house will not be disclosed to anyone but the individual in crisis.

Transitional Housing

Bartlett Housing Solutions

Utilizing a Housing-First model, Bartlett Housing Solutions works to assist individuals experiencing homelessness obtain secure housing and support services through bridge housing, rapid rehousing, and permanent supportive housing.

Affordable Housing

Bartlett Housing Solutions

affordable housing program

  •  Public Resource, Off-campus, Evansdale Morgantown
  • 304-292-0101

Bartlett Housing Solutions provides an affordable housing program located in Nitor Suites and Apartments complex at West Run. Limited space is available for program participants who meet the eligibility criteria.

North Central West Virginia Community Action Association Housing Program

affordable housing program

NCWVCAA is a certified USDA Section 502 Loan Application Packager. Section 502 Direct Loans assists low-income and very-low-income applicants obtain decent, safe and sanitary housing in eligible rural areas by providing payment assistance to increase an applicant’s repayment ability. The amount of assistance is determined by the adjusted family income and provides a path to homeownership for low-income and very-low-income families living in rural areas, and families who truly have no other way to make affordable homeownership a reality.

Fairmont/Morgantown Housing Authority (FMHA)

section 8 housing choice Vouchers (HCV)

They offer help for home rental expenses that can help save from monthly adjusted income. They deliver these services to all families that qualify for such assistance within jurisdiction of Marion, Monongalia, Preston, and Taylor Counties. Qualifications are based on the gross annual income of the family and the household composition. To apply for assistance, visit their office at the address listed above, or visit their website to print off an application. Applications can be accepted via mail, fax, or being dropped off in person.

If you feel that you’ve been discriminated against related to housing, you can reach out to them for assistance.